About Indian Railway Ministry
Indian Railway Ministry is a significant ministry in the Indian Government that is accountable for rail transport in the country. The ministry administers the Indian Railways, owned by states and controlled by the Railway Board’s Chairman. The head of the Ministry of Railways is the Rail Minister or Minister of Railways who presents the rail budget in the parliament every year.
General information about the Indian Ministry of Railways
The Railway Ministry of our country was formed on 16th April, in 1853. Its headquarters are situated at Rail Bhavan in New Delhi.
Current and past railway ministers and their achievements
Let us learn about the current railway ministers and their achievements:
Piyush Vedprakash Goyal is the current railway minister of India. He was earlier serving the Bharatiya Janata Party as its National Treasurer. His job is to present the annual Railway Budget in front of the Parliament which was introduced by him this year on 1st February. Rajen Gohain and Manoj Sinha are both Ministers of State serving the Indian Railways at present. It is all about the current railway ministers and their achievements.
Here is a list of past railway ministers and their achievements in the Indian Railways:
Until the year 2018, 39 Railway Ministers have served India.
- The first Railway Minister of India was Asaf Ali (1946-1947).
- He was followed by John Mathai (1947-1948),
- N. Gopalaswami Ayyangar (1948-1952) and
- Lal Bahadur Shastri (1952-1956).
- Then came Jagjivan Ram,
- Swaran Singh,
- H.C. Dasappa,
- S.K. Patil,
- C.M. Poonacha,
- Ram Subhag Singh,
- Panampilli Govinda Menon,
- Gulzarilal Nanda,
- T.A. Pai
- Lalit Narayan Mishra.
- The 15th Railway Minister was Kamalapati Tripathy who stayed for 1975-1977 and again returned in 1980 for 11 months.
- Madhu Dandavate,
- Kedar Pandey,
- Prakash Chandra Sethi,
- A.B.A. Ghani Khan Choudhury,
- Bansi Lal, Madhavrao Sindhia,
- George Fernandes,
- Janeshwar Mishra,
- C.K. Jaffer Sharief,
- Ram Vilas Paswan,
- Nitish Kumar and
- Ram Naik.
- Mamata Banerjee, the 30th Railway Minister, is significant as she was the first woman in India to become a rail minister and presented the Railway Budget.
- After her, Nitish Kumar again returned to the position in the year 2001.
- Lalu Prasad remained for quite a long time, and then Mamata Banerjee again gained back her seat.
- The remaining ones are Dinesh Trivedi,
- Mukul Roy,
- C.P. Joshi,
- Pawan Kumar Bansal,
- Mallikarjun Kharge,
- D.V. Sadananda Gowda,
- Suresh Prabhu and
- Piyush Goyal.
Railway Growth & changes:
All acknowledged Lalu as an excellent railway minister when he announced a profit of Rs 200 billion, that too without any increase in fares of passengers and freight rates. Under the tenure of Suresh Prabhu, Tejas super-fast trains, Deen Dayalu and also Atyodaya trains were introduced.
Namma toilets, Tri Netri program, the penalty for littering, Guard Cabins and railway insurance were some of his achievements. It is all about the past railway ministers and their achievements. Piyush Goyal, the current rail minister, is also doing great with his latest technological advancements and improving the standard of Indian Railways.
Indian Railway Ministry Website: https://www.india.gov.in
Indian Railway Ministry Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RailMinIndia/
The Indian Railway Ministry Twitter: https://twitter.com/RailMinIndia
For More Details Regarding Indian Railways Recruitment, Current information details and many more visit Indian Railways Official Website: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/railwayboard
You can also see List of Indian Prime Ministers (1947 – 2018)