How to Apply for an Indian Passport for a Newborn?
A Passport is a type of document that has long been offered by the Government of India to people who wish to travel to foreign nations under the protection of the Indian Government. Any Indian citizen can procure this document from any Indian Passport Seva Kendra (Passport Office or Centre) present in any part of India or even online. It is generally easy to get an Indian Passport, but the steps are slightly tough in specific cases – such as when it comes to obtaining one for a newborn.
How to apply for a Newborn’s Indian Passport?
The following steps will be very useful for you to get an Indian passport for your newborn.
- As a parent of a newborn, you need to visit the website of the Indian Passport Seva Kendra. Register an account, in case you do not already have an existing one.
- There is no need to usually take an appointment for minors. Thus, you can visit your local Passport Seva Kendra with a receipt of the passport applications during business hours.
- You have to take original and photocopies of all the important documents related to your newborn, and submit the same at the Passport Seva Kendra office.
- After all the documents are submitted, they will be properly verified. The office will give you a token number and ask you to wait for your turn.
- Once your turn comes up, the authorities will verify your documents and scan and upload them into the system. Thus, you need to be absolutely sure that all the details that you have provided in the application form are correct.
- Following this, additional verifications for every document will be carried out.
- After the completion of the above steps, you will get an acknowledgement receipt post.
- You can expect to get the Indian passport for your newborn after around 4 days. In some cases, applicants have to wait up to a week.
What are the Documents to Submit?
As an applicant, you are expected to visit your local Indian Passport Seva Kendra office with the original and photocopies of the following documents:
- Birth Certificate of your newborn baby
- Present address proof (this will be enough if you, the parent, have a passport)
- Appointment receipt
- Marriage certificate, in case the name of the spouse has not been endorsed on the passport of a parent
- Your newborn’s passport-sized photo, against a white background
- Annexure H, filled up and duly signed (You can get it from the website of the Passport Seva Kendra)
If you are making a first-time application for your newborn, you have to furnish the details of your baby as well as his / her parents in the application form. Issuance of passport for infants and newborns is made without police verification. If valid passports are not held by parents, passport applications for their newborns can be done based on 3 out of these 14 documents:
- Birth Certificates
- Driving licenses
- Student Identity Cards
- Post office / Bank passbooks
- Income Tax (IT) Identity Cards
- Railway Identity Cards
- Pension documents
- Ration Cards
- Registered deeds, Pattas or other property documents
- Arms Licenses
- OBC/SC/ST certificates
- Central or State Government-issued Service Identity Card
- Electro Photo Identity Card
- Freedom fighter Identity Cards
How Long Does an Indian Passport for a Newborn Stay Valid?
The validity of a passport for infants and newborns is only for a period of 5 years. If the parents are legally separated or if the newborn in question is born out of wedlock or belongs to a single parent, proofs must be submitted stating all the facts about the newborn’s case along with the copy of an affidavit sworn before a magistrate. Usually, the consent or signature of both parents is needed for issuing passport to infants and newborns. At times, the newborn might have to be physically present.
National Indian Passport Customer Care Number: 1800 258 1800
For More Details Regarding “Apply for an Indian Passport for a Newborn” Please Visit Indian Passport Official Website: http://www.passportindia.gov.in
Disclaimer: This website is not affiliated with official Indian Passport website in any way. This article had been written with the help of reference sites. Visiting this site confirms that you are accepting all terms and conditions.