How to Change Name in Your Indian Passport after Marriage?
Indian women have to change their name in important official documents after marriage, such as the passport – which shows their relationship status and the person to whom she is related. It is needed in foreign countries and while flying to or back from other nations, and can easily prove your relationship to a man you claim to be your husband. Find out how you should change your name in Indian Passport after marriage.
Steps to Change Name in Indian Passport after Marriage
- Visit the link to the official Indian passport website.
- You have to apply for a re issuance of passport in your name. Thus, you should access or download the Form No. II for Miscellaneous Services from the website. Alternatively, you can visit the local office for the Indian Passport Seva Kendra.
- Fill up the form in a complete and accurate way.
- Submit a photo copy of your husband’s original passport (if any).
- Also submit a photo copy of your Marriage Certificate.
- Attest the Marriage Certificate, as well as other supporting documents such as joint photo with your husband.
- Submit an affidavit as per Annexure D.
- If you lack these documents, you can submit other documents such as:
- Sworn affidavit
- Deed Poll, which must be as per Annexure E.
After filling the form up, you need to submit it online or to your local Passport Seva Kendra along with other documents. In each case, the application form has to be submitted with the payment of a small fee. You can get the changed passport on the date that is specified.
How Can You Endorse Name of Spouse in an Indian Passport?
You need to apply for reissuing of your passport in case you want spouse name to be endorsed on your passport. Every particular detail that has to be changed should be updated on the passport application form.
- Go to the official Indian passport website.
- Click on ‘Re-Apply’ for an Indian passport.
- Find the Form No. II for Miscellaneous services, and download it online. You can also get it by personally visiting the Indian Passport Seva Kendra.
- Fill up the form completely. Submit it along with these documents:
- Your original passport, with an attested copy of its last and first two pages
- Attested copy of your Marriage Certificate, with a joint affidavit by both of you as well as a joint photograph.
- Proof of address
- Book an appointment slot and submit these online or at the local Passport Seva Kendra.
Once you make the changes needed, you will have your new passport directly sent to you on or around the specified date.
Endorsing the Name of Spouse from a Foreign Country on an Indian Passport
If your spouse happens to be a citizen of some other nation, you have to submit the following documents.
- Marriage Certificate, as issued by Mission or Indian Post in that country.
- Marriage Certificate issued by the Government of a foreign country, attested by any of the following:
- Foreign Embassy / High Commission / Consulate of that specific nation in India
- Indian Post / Mission in the jurisdiction where the Marriage Certificate was issued.
- Indian authorities such as Marriage Officer or Registrar of Marriage
It is equally easy to remove the name of spouse from an Indian passport if there a divorce with that person. The documents to be provided for the removal include:
- Deed Poll or Sworn Affidavit, as per Annexure E
- Court-certified Divorce decree
Once the documents are verified after submission, the changes will be reflected in time. As an applicant, you have to visit your local Indian Passport Seva Kendra and collect your endorsed Passport with all the information updated in the same. In case of any error in the passport, you can apply for a rectification of the same.
Indian Passport Customer Care Number: 1800 258 1800
For More Details Regarding How to Change Middle Name or Surname in an Indian Passport Please Visit Indian Passport Official Website: http://www.passportindia.gov.in
Disclaimer: This website is not affiliated with official Indian Passport website in any way. This article had been written with the help of reference sites. Visiting this site confirms that you are accepting all terms and conditions.