About Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga
Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga, a Hindu place of worship, is a temple in which Lord Shiva resides. The jyotirlinga shrines are considered to be one of the holiest sites in India, and there are 12 jyotirlingas in our country. The Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga is situated in the historic city of Madhya Pradesh, Ujjain beside the lake Rudra Sagar.
According to the Shiva Purana, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma had a dispute regarding their roles in the creation of the universe. Lord Shiva then pierced all three worlds with an interminable pillar made of light. Both Brahma and Vishnu traveled upwards and downwards to search for the light’s terminal point. Lord Brahma lied by saying that he has reached the end. Vishnu, on the other hand, accepted defeat.
Lord Shiva impressed by Vishnu’s honesty, appeared as the light’s second pillar and cursed Brahma for his deceit. He said that Brahma would not offered any place in religious ceremonies, but people will worship Vishnu till the world ends. The ultimate reality is the jyotirlinga, out of which Lord Shiva emanates in part. The jyotirlinga temples have been constructed at those places where Lord Shiva appeared as light.
The Mahakaleshwar Temple
The idol that you find in the Mahakaleshwar temple, commonly known as Dakshinamurti, as it faces the south. This unique feature can be witnessed only at this Ujjain temple and not in any other Jyotirlinga. Above the shrine, you can see a sanctum where an idol of Mahadev Omkareshwar has been consecrated. There are also images of Karttikeya, Parvati, and Ganesh in the east, north, and west. You will also find Lord Shiva’s vehicle, Nandi, to the south of the sanctum.
Ujjain Temple timings for the convenience of the pilgrims
- Knowing the Ujjain Temple timings beforehand will be advantageous for you.
- Even The temple opens at 4 am every day. Morning Pooja starts at 7 am and continues up to 7:30 in summer and from 7:30 am to 8 am in winter.
- For Darshan, visit the Mahakal Ujjain temple in between 8 am, and 10 am, between 10:30 am, and 5 pm, between 6 pm and 7 am.
- Midday Pooja performed from 10:30 to 11 am.
- Then Evening Pooja performed from 5 pm to 5:30 pm.
- If you want to see the Mahakaleshwar Aarti, visit the temple before 7:30 pm.
- The temple closes at 11 pm every night. Book tickets online for participating in the Bhasma Aarti.
How to Reach Mahakaleshwar Temple?
You can reach to Mahakaleshwar Temple by using airways where the Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport is the nearest airport for Ujjain peoples which located in Indore, you can reach using Indian Railways like Ahilyanagari Express which travels from major cities Trivandrum, Chennai, Vijayawada, Warangal, Nagpur, Bhopal to Ujjain where Ujjain railway station connects the ujjain city and other neighbouring cities also
- Mahakaleshwar Temple Website: http://dic.mp.nic.in
- Temple Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shreemahakaleshwarujjain
- Mahakaleshwar Temple App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.nic.mahakalapp
- Temple Helpline Number: 0734 2550563
- Mahakaleshwar Temple Contact Details: http://dic.mp.nic.in/ujjain/mahakal/common_forms/contact_us.aspx