Meghalaya State is one among the 29 states of India which is located in the North Eastern Region and is bordered with divisions of Bangladesh including Sylhet and Mymensingh which is located on the south, Rangpur which is located on west, Assam which is located on the north and east. The capital city of ML is the Shilong and is also the largest city.
The Population of ML state is about 3,212,000 which is the 23rd largest state in Indian population and the Districts are covering with an area of 22,429 square kilometres (or) 8,660 square miles, which comes 23rd on the area basis.
The official and native language of ML state is “English” and which is the wide;y spoken language and “Khasi” and “Garo” are the other languages which are spoken in the state.
Formation of ML State
ML state came into existence on 21st Jan of 1972. The High Court of Meghalaya is the apex judicial body in the state.
Indian State of ML Symbols
The following are the symbols of ML State:
|State animal||Clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa)|
|bird||Hill myna (Gracula religiosa)|
|State flower||Lady’s Slipper Orchid (Paphiopedilum insigne)|
|State tree||Gamhar (Gmelina arborea)|
Holiday Destinations Designated by ML Tourism and Culture
- ML state consists of thickest forests which resembles the eco – tourism in the country.
- There are many popular waterfalls including Shadthum falls, Bishop Falls, Langshiang falls, Elephant falls, Weinia falls, Nohkalikai falls and Sweet falls.
- The state has its own culture of tradition, language and dress for each tribe of Garos, Jaintias and Khasis.
Meghalaya Map illustrates that Shillong is the capital of this north eastern state and is also the largest city. The land territory consists of 11 ML Districts which are divided into 03 divisions and the following are the districts of ML State:
Jaintia Hills Division
|West Jaintia Hills (Jowai)|
|East Jaintia Hills (Khliehriat)|
Khasi Hills Division
|East Khasi Hills (Shillong)|
|West Khasi Hills (Nongstoin)|
|South West Khasi Hills (Mawkyrwat)|
Garo Hills Division
|North Garo Hills (Resubelpara)|
|East Garo Hills (Williamnagar)|
|South Garo Hills (Baghmara)|
|West Garo Hills (Tura)|
|South West Garo Hills (Ampati)|
ML State Rivers
The following are the few Rivers of ML which flows through the ML state:
- Myntdu River
- Digaru River
- Someshwari River
- Kopili River
- Kulsi River
- Jinari River
Important details of ML State
- ML Official Website: http://meghalaya.gov.in/
- ML Governor: Sri Ganga Prasad
- Meghalaya Chief Minister: Sri Conrad Kongkal Sangma
- ML State Apps: http://meghalaya.gov.in/megportal/mobileapps