About Lakshadweep Islands
Lakshadweep Islands is one among the 07 Union Territories of India which is governed by Union Government of India. It is an archipelago of around 200 – 400 kilometres (or) 120 – 270 miles Laccadive Sea off the Indian Southwestern coast. It is formerly known as Aminidivi Islands, Minicoy Islands and Laccadive Islands.
The Population of Lakshadweep Islands
The Population of LD is about 65,473 and the Districts are covering with an area of 32.69 square kilometres (or) 12.62 square miles, which comes 36th on the area basis in India.
The official and native language of LD including “Jeseri (Dweep Bhasha), Mahl and Malayalam” and “English” which are widely spoken languages in the state. The northern island’s people speak Malayalam because of the influence of Arabic and Tamil which are similar to Arwi. The Minicoy people speak Mahl which variant of the language of Divehi spoken in the language of Maldives.
Formation of LD Islands
LD Islands existed on the year 01st Nov of 1956. The name “Lakshadweep” comes from “Lakshadwipa“ which known for “100 thousands of Islands” in the language of Sanskrit. The High Court of Kerala is the Judicial body.
Indian State of LD Symbols
Holiday Destination Designated by Island Tourism and Culture
- Since 1974 due to its picturesque attraction and solitude have already known as an attractive tourist destination among the Indians
- It cannot support the construction of the industries so it because of its small region so the government is promoting tourism as a means of revenue in Kadmat Islands and Bangaram Islands.
- The citizens of the Island known to practice customs of different religions. Sheikh Ubaidullah proposed the Islam.
- The major festivals including Bakrid, Id-Ul-Fitr, Muharram, Milad Ul Nabi celebrated in the state.
Lakshadweep Map illustrates that Kavaratti is the capital of this Union Territory. As per 2011 census, the land territory consists of 01 District and the following are the districts of the State:
- This Island has no rivers flowing in the state because of its bunch of Islands.
Important Details of the Island
- Lakshadweep Islands Website: http://www.lakshadweep.gov.in
- Lakshadweep Islands Governor: Farooq Khan