What is ECR Stands for while applying for Indian passport? ECR stands for “Emigration Check Required”. ECR required by Indians citizen on the passport who wishes to visit to specific nations for the job and study purposes. Passport holders may need to secure an Emigration Clearance in the organization of POE or Protector of Emigrants prior traveling to the specific countries. Emigration in this setting refers to those specific Indians that are visiting the nation to seek after work in an alternate nation.
It is very easy to categorize the ECR and ECNR passports. The passports which were issued before the January 2007 are ECR (Emigration Check Required) and the passport which were issued after January 2007 are ECNR (Emigration check not required) passports.
In other words, the ECR passports are supplied to the Indian nationals to provide security when they are working abroad.
The ECNR passport availing criteria
The ECNR passports can be availed by the people;
- Indian born in abroad
- Diplomatic or official passport holder
- Gazette Government employees
- The professional degree certification holders like Scientist, Charted accountant, lawyer or engineer
- CDC seamen possession
- Nurses who are recognized under the nursing council act 1947
- A candidate above 18 years old
- A candidate who stayed in foreign country for more than 3 years
For the ECNR passport, you need to submit some of the documents such as;
- A challan of 300 INR in bank via bank draft
- Original passport
- Proof of address
- 2 copies of eligibility criteria mentioned above
- 2 copies of the last and first 4 pages of passport (self attested)
- Visa copy
- Copies of tickets
Eliminating ECR stamp from passport
It is very important to get the ECNR status on your passport which will save you from a lot of trouble. The main difference between the ECR and ECNR passport is a stamp which is endorsed on it. To get this stamp removed, you will have to apply for the ECNR passport with all the supporting documents mentioned above.
The process is simple as the other. You will apply online for the removal of ECR status. You will have to submit all the documents on the passport portal. Make sure to attach all the correct documents. Also make sure you attach the bank challan receipt of 300 INR which is most important.
ECNR Exemption list
- Diplomatic passport holder
- Gazette government employees and their family
- Salaried employees may submit form 16 with last 3 years of bank details
- Business owner will have to submit the last 3 years of tax clearance receipts
- Professional degree holders
- Individual with at least matriculation
- Permanent immigration visa holder
- 2 years diploma holders
- Professional nurses
- Children under 18 years
- Person travelling overseas on death ceremony
- Students travelling abroad for higher studies
- Athlete travelling to another country to represent India
- VIPs such as ministers
- State authorities